Offshore 3D Printed Gun Blueprint Protector Kim Dotcom Reportedly Deleting Files
3D printed guns are reportedly even too scary for the infamous free-information hacker, Kim Dotcom. After the U.S. State Department demanded that the designer of the world’s first fully printable gun remove the files from his network, New Zealand-based Dotcom committed to keeping them safely online in his offshore legal safehaven. According to New Zealand’s Newstalk ZB website, “The plans were available on Dotcom’s Mega website, but the New Zealand-based entrepreneur asked his staff to delete the public files. Dotcom says he thinks they are a serious threat to security of the community.” We have reached out to Dotcom and will update readers with more information as we receive it. Last week, Texas law school graduate Cody Wilson made global headlines for freely distributing digital blueprints for manufacturing a lethal weapon with a 3D printer. In a mere week, Senator Chuck Schumer called for immediate regulation and the blueprints themselves had been downloaded over 100,000 times. ...
Dutch police arrest ex-pupil over serious shooting threat
Dutch police in the city of Leiden have arrested a former pupil of the British School following serious threats of a school shooting. The threat was posted on an Internet forum.
Suicide bomber kills at least 27 in Baghdad cafe
BAGHDAD - At least 27 people were killed and dozens more wounded on Thursday when a suicide bomber blew himself up inside a Baghdad cafe popular with teenagers using the Internet, police and hospital officials said.
Found 1 month ago on channel Reuters
EU targets Iranian judges, media bosses with sanctions
BRUSSELS - The European Union imposed sanctions on Tuesday on an Iranian police unit monitoring the Internet, as well on several judges and media bosses the bloc blames for human rights violations in the Islamic Republic.
Found more than 1 month ago on channel Reuters
MIT Says Gunman Hoax Call Mentioned Swartz Case
An anonymous reader writes "MIT has posted a letter to campus newspaper The Tech providing a timeline of last weekend's 'gunman' hoax. On Saturday morning, Cambridge, MA police were contacted via Internet relay by a tipster who claimed that a someone wearing armor and carrying a 'really big gun' was in Building 7 at MIT (the Massachusetts Ave. entrance to the Infinite Corridor) and was heading towards the office of MIT President Rafael Reif. The call continued for 18 minutes, with the caller eventually claiming that the gunman was seeking to avenge the suicide of Aaron Swartz, who was being prosecuting for alleged illegal downloads of millions of journal articles using MIT's computer network. The caller also identified the gunman an MIT staff member, who has since been questioned by police and cleared. MIT has been criticized for waiting 1.5 hours before sending a campus-wide alert after the call was received."
Found more than 1 month ago on channel Slashdot